Friday, March 26, 2010

Golden Yellow Delicious APPLES

Tonight I made Golden Delicious Apple Pork Chops over white rice. Side dishes candied carrots and buttered green beans. It was extremely delicious! My friend whom I bring dinner to when I cook gave it 5 stars so fun! Anyway as I was chopping the apples up preparing them for the sauce I remembered a lady I used to take care of named Elizabeth she was 104 and in her right mind a lot of fun, very wise and intelligent! She LOVED I mean LOVED yellow apples as she called them. I would bring her one whenever I worked, thus getting in trouble for bringing a patient a gift. I did not care I took the write ups and eventually my boss got sick of or didn't want to pay unemployement to someone for serving yellow apples, who knows. At any rate when Elizabeth was dying I brought in a whole bag for her family to enjoy while they sat with her waiting for her to pass away. She watched those apples like a hawk. She eventually died and I attended her funeral in a very old church where they rang the bell 104 times one for every year of her life. It was one of the best funerals I have ever been too. I have taken care of thousands of people in my nursing career. I have bought soap, lotion, kleenex, yarn, etc etc for my patients if they needed it and especially if they had no family, always getting in trouble for it. I also prayed with my patients, held their hand while they were dying, kisses their foreheads, gave them hugs, shared my stories of my family and my many children that are in my life, especially my daughter Rachael who would visit with them frequently. This is all the part I love.BUT this is all the part you can get fired for. I have been told by several people in my life that this is my God given talent. Sometimes I feel my blessing is my curse. I no longer wish to be in nursing, to make sure I entered a nursing home and knew for sure that I can't go back, that time of my life has past. I can't do it anymore. IF my husband died and I had to support my family I would still probably try to avoid it. Some people think this is sad. It just is. I had a wonderful time and on to the next chapter. I love being a wife and stay at home mom with my 3 yr old son. I love helping my terminally ill friend. I love helping all my single mothers, all the babies and I love to cook and share as much off my cooking as I can. So I am still a caregiver just one who can't get fired for buying a gift, saying a prayer and a hug and a kiss. I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment